Toyota South Africa Issues Notice of Upgrades To Vehicle Security Systems on Selected Models
Toyota South Africa has advised us they have developed upgrades to the vehicle security system on certain key models. These upgrades can be conducted by any authorised Toyota Dealer at no cost to the customer. The upgrades will be performed automatically when presented for routine service and maintenance, alternatively, customers can decide with their nearest Toyota Dealer to have the upgrade performed at their convenience. All applicable new vehicles will be delivered with the upgrade included.
All vehicle brands equipped with a Keyless Entry system continue to be vulnerable to a mode of theft referred to as a “Relay Attack”. This is where high tech equipment is used to amplify and remotely transmit the key code to the parked vehicle. Toyota vehicles with Smart Entry have an inherent feature to prevent a “Relay Attack” from being executed.
This feature can be activated by the customer as follows:
- With all doors shut, press the “Lock” button on the remote.
- Immediately press the “Lock” button on the remote for the second time and hold it depressed.
- While holding the “Lock” button depressed, simultaneously press the “Unlock” button on the remote twice.
- The keyless entry system will be temporarily disabled.
- Confirm that the feature is set by either operating the driver door handle/’’Unlock’’ button on the door handle as applicable. The vehicle should not unlock.
- To unlock the vehicle press, the “Unlock” button on the remote. This reactivates the keyless entry function.
- The above procedure must be followed each time the keyless entry system is required to be disabled.
- Consult your Toyota Dealer should you require further clarity on the use of this feature.
In addition to the above, Toyota South Africa has recommended that customers take additional measures to reduce the risk of vehicle theft, including the use of aftermarket devices such as steering locks, gear locks and additional aftermarket immobilisers. Installation of these devices will not void the vehicles warranty, provided the installation is undertaken by an insurance approved installer.
To all our clients who have received requests to install tracking devices, thank you for your support with this initiative. Many devices have been installed, offering clients greater peace of mind, zero theft excesses and discounted premiums. The actions by Toyota South Africa are welcomed, but do not change the requirements for tracking devices where same have been requested. As a caution, this is not a recall by Toyota.
Historically criminals have used recalls offering a service on behalf of Toyota to collect a vehicle from the client’s house. They will provide personal detail to convince the client they are legitimate. Toyota will not be performing any such action.